Possibly one of the most difficult parts of finishing this project is finding a place for all the running lines – all 18 of them – 9 for each sail. The main hatch of an Alberg 37 is on the port side of centre which works out in my favour as most of the running lines are situated on the starboard side of the masts.
Only the two sheets and two port topping lifts come back to the port side of the hatch. I have used jam cleats for the sheets in order to enable quick release, which could be handy if hit by a squall.
The three main downhauls share one larger hole into the cockpit and will share one cleat (to be fixed). The fore mast downhauls will lead along the starboard side of the doghouse to the cockpit (to be done).
I have been unable to find suitable nylon thimbles to finish the fore topping lifts so for now they will have to remain as standing lifts that can be adjusted at the boom.
Securing my rowing tender to the deck without interfering with the fore mast running lines proved to be a challenge. I have built a frame fixed to the foredeck which h tender can be latched down to and the running ropes lead through leads below. It should work well.
On the starboard side come the main and fore halyards, main and fore yard hauling parrels and main and fore luff hauling parrels (although I’m considering placing a standing luff parrel in place of the hauling one as it seems to be unnecessary, although sea trials will determine that for sure).
Sea trials to come then off to Newfoundland.
Here’s a link to a feature article the local paper ran on my project: The Guardian Clear Sailing